Monday, April 23, 2012

Crazy Time!

I am frantically trying to get my gardening act together. I really do more than one person can handle while raising a bunch of kids. I get myself frustrated every year, but I wouldn’t want it any other way.
Sunday my husband put up shelves so I can move the flats out of my plant room into the natural light. They will do so much better now.
I cleaned out the right bed, tilled the dirt and planted tomatoes on the far end with jalapenos. There are cucumbers along the back and some garlic in the corner next to the blue barrel. I still need to figure out something for the middle front.
069
The left side is all tomatoes. The pots are the daylilies that will go around my upper pond.
070
The center bed has cantaloupe at the far end (we still need to put up a trellis) and some bell peppers. I have to figure out what to put in the rest of the bed.
071
Cucumbers and the rocks mark the garlic rows. My husband is bringing me some paint stir sticks to make labels. The dirt is holding at 60* and up to 66* today.
072
Here are nine jalapeno plants.
073
The cantaloupe on the end and 15 bell peppers. I have a lot more pepper plants, but can’t decide if I should plant them or grow something else. I think a guy only needs so many peppers.
074
I have flats full of flower starts that need transplanted plus 401 things that need taken care of around my home. I love gardening. I anticipate it all year long. April and May are my two stress-filled months getting it all going while school is winding down and sports are starting up. Throw in some drama with my kids and I'm usually taking two steps back rather than forward. Hopefully tomorrow will be a more productive day.

1 comment:

Here I Am Carrie said...

Hello Gayle, I am very impressed with your greenhouse. I will love following you and your secrets to growing in zone 2. I am a zone 3 and struggle. I too have a greenhouse of a different sort where I grow my tomatoes, peppers and sometimes squash as well at start most my seeds. I see you are a very busy person. Happy Summer and Harvest to you. Carrie