Sunday, March 17, 2013

Thawing Dirt and Sprouts

All my seeds have arrived. I've done some planting, but really I'm 1-2 weeks behind with much of it. It's so time consuming mixing dirt, filling 6-packs, seeding, watering when I have so many other obligations (and kids). Hoping to crank out quite a few flats today and get caught up.

These are pelleted wave petunia seeds. They are expensive and I made a mistake in ordering. When I changed my mind about the color of the ditch bed (110-feet long) I forgot to delete the original order. Now I will have 125 Hot Pink Tidal Wave Petunias without a place. That will also take up much of the grow room and later the greenhouse that I did not plan for.

Awhile back Nick brought in some of the frozen dirt and yesterday Emily got me more. 


It thaws by the wood stove that I keep going to keep the grow room warm. I think I had things a little too hot last night and we were chased out of there!

There are quite a few thing sprouting. These are geraniums that already have 3-4 leaves now. The peppers are up as well as some petunias. It will all keep me very busy for the next few months, but it's a busy I love.

Yes, the plant room is still a mess. I'm running out of places for flats so today I will have to do some cleaning.

3 comments:

Stephen Andrew said...

I'm excited to watch the geraniums grow from seed! I've never done that.

Here I Am Carrie said...

Oh its those little starts that make it all worth while. I have 8 geraniums that I wintered over. We had such bad winds this past couple of weeks I am afraid of even making hanging baskets this year. It blew my patio furniture around and broke some of it. I didn't think the snow would stick today but it is and it's coming down like a blizzard. Happy greenhouse gardening.

Nancy J said...

I don't hop over to this blog very often, but look at all those seeds!!! Do you do them with mail order? I'm sure you will find spaces for those petunias and all else. Lots of work, and don't let anyone say otherwise, it is!!! But well worth it when the lovely flowers come out. Cheers, Jean.